Wedding Countdown Ticker

Friday, November 14, 2008

"I will always hear you"

I'm not sure why I didn't get one of these a long time ago. I love to write my thoughts down...or should I say type my thoughts?

The Lord continues to speak to me in amazing ways, although sometimes I am too distracted to hear His voice. The past several months have been a challenge for me. I continue to seek His will for my life. And most of the time His plan for me is so unclear. All I can say at this point is "Father, I am yours. Do what you will with my life."
He is such a passionate lover. He allures me into difficult situations... situations that last months and months. I don't always understand why, but in the end I am drawn closer to Him and it's worth it. All He desires to draw me to Himself. And He will do whatever it takes. Whatever it takes. This is so like Him. I have never felt so drawn to Him in my entire life. It's in my times of hardship, suffering, and uncertainty that I am closest to Him. He becomes all I have. It's almost like I am in a pit and He is at the top saying, "Reach up to me, my beloved and I will rescue you. I will pull you out."

Over the past few months I have been crying out to the Lord for encouragment. I just want to know that He's with me...that He hears me...that He cares for me.

A couple nights ago I was sitting in my living room and my dad came in and turned the TV on. The movie "Jack Frost" was on. It was at the very ending of the movie and the main character (the father) had to leave his wife and son. The son cried out to him saying "Dad! Don't leave me!" and as the father left them he said to his son, "I will always hear you".
This gripped my heart and tears began to stream down my face. This is what I had been longing to hear from the Lord. He spoke to me as clear as day. He will always hear me. None of my cries are in vain.

Last night I was lying in my bed and I couldn't sleep. I was feeling alone and downhearted. I turned on my lamp and reached for my Bible. I thought to myself, "Okay Lord, I need you right now." I opened up the Word and looked down at Psalm 18. As I got to verse 6 I began to understand just a drop in the bucket of what David felt when he was beeing pursued by his enemies. And just how awesome the Lord is to come to our rescue.

"In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From His temple he heard my voice; my cry came before Him, into his ears. The earth trembled and quaked, and the foundations of the mountains shook; they trimbled because He was angry. Smoke rose from His nostrils; consuming fire came from His mouth; burning coals blazed out of it. He parted the heavens and came down; dark clouds were under His feet. He mounted the cherubim and flew; He soared on the wings of the wind. He made darkness His covering, His canopy around Him--the dark rain clouds of the sky. Out of the brightness of His presence clouds advanced, with hailstones and bolts of lightening. The Lord thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded. He shot his arrows and scattered the enemies, great bolts of lightning and routed them. The valleys of the sea were exposed and the foundations of the earth layed bare at your rebuke, O Lord, at the blast of breath from your nostrils. He reached down from on high and took hold of me; He drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; He rescued me because He delighted in me." (Psalm 18:6-19)

Just try to picture this in your head. I am overwhelmed by it. ...that He would go through all that just to reach down and avenge me... rescue me... and pull me close to Him.

Jesus, I would be lost without you...

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Bethany - how beautiful and tender - you are in this place because the Lord WANTS you to press into him - One of the (man!) things that Corey Russell said yesterday that really struck me was that our Bridegroom WANTS to be known. His ways seem mysterious to us until we really get to know him. It's just like having an earthly companion that you've been with for a while - pretty soon you know their thoughts, you can discern their reactions, you know their favorite foods - favorite music - favorite colors - all because you KNOW them.

Jesus WANTS to be KNOWN by us. Pursue him (just as you are doing) with ALL that you have. The result will be that the Lover of Your Soul will make himself known to you.

I love you so much...
Ellen